Amherst Funeral & Cremation Services Inc. is proud to be one of a select number of establishments approved by the Green Burial Council to offer a green burial package. It provides everything necessary for graveside burial within a green or conventional cemetery and in certain instances at homestead burial sites.
Our packaged services include storage, transportation, supervision of the burial, and the filing of all necessary documentation, permits and certificates. A burial container, which can be either a shroud or biodegradable casket, is available at an additional cost, or as part of another package.
Although formaldehyde-based embalming is prohibited, a funeral with a viewing can be arranged for an additional charge. Natural Choices Packages for Green Burial require interment rights in a Conservation Burial Ground, Natural Burial Ground, Hybrid Burial Ground or authorized Private Land Burial.
Amherst is truly dedicated to the Green Burial Counsel’s Doctrine for ecological responsibility in providing goods and services for end-of-life care. To receive the Green Burial Counsel Certification, Amherst:
- does not require embalming
- does require and provide refrigeration
- does provide six service packages that include natural eco-friendly products, including caskets and urns
- does accommodate home vigils, viewings and services held in churches or cemetery chapels
- does require staff association with the Green Burial Counsel for standards related to the technical, practical, ethical issues related to eco-friendly funeral and cremation processes.